Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: have you changed your driving habits?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    have you changed your driving habits?

    with gas so close to $3.00 a gallon have you changed your driving habits in any way? Do you still pull away from a red light and get up to speed as quick as you can? As hard as I try it kills me to pull out and ease up to the speed limit. I try but it doesn't last.
    I've gotten in the habit of if I have to sit in line at the band, fast food window.... I cut off the engine. No "lets go to Kingsport just because" trips anymore.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 89bluedevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2005
    Posts
    763
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: have you changed your driving habits?

    My trips back home to the Tri Cities are a little less often too. Try not to run the air conditioner if possible also.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: have you changed your driving habits?

    from everything AAA has said, running the AC isn't going to effect mpg enough so you had might as well be comfy. they say by the time you roll your window's down the drag created by all the air rushing into the car almost equals out or something like that.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: have you changed your driving habits?

    Running the air conditioner will drop your MPG by 2 or 3, sometimes more.

    The only trips I make now are to area lakes. Can't fish as much as I would like.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: have you changed your driving habits?

    I definitely haven't been making as many leisure trips as I did before. Can't motivate myself to drive up to Norton just to look around or to get food, it has to be for a reason.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: have you changed your driving habits?

    [ QUOTE ]
    Running the air conditioner will drop your MPG by 2 or 3, sometimes more.



    [/ QUOTE ]
    looks like a mix bag.
    From ASE:
    Use windows and air conditioning wisely. Your mileage should improve if you keep the windows closed at highway speeds, since air drag is reduced. This is true even with the air conditioning on-assuming that the system is in good working order. But turn the air conditioning off in stop-and-go traffic to save fuel.

    http://www.asecert.org/Template.cfm?...;ContentID=450

    from gas buddy
    Windows open, especially at highway speeds, increase drag and result in decreased fuel economy of up to 10%.
    http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_tips.aspx

    Turn off the Air Conditioner - Avoid using the air conditioner as much as possible. When the air conditioner is on the engine works harder, increasing gas consumption by about 20 percent. Not using your air conditioner this summer might save you $80 (based on 4,000 over 3 months in a 20 MPG car and paying $2 per gallon).
    http://losangeles.about.com/od/trans...savingtips.htm

    3. When you run your air conditioner you get much worse gas mileage. Use your air conditioner sparingly. If you have a lower setting, use it. Turn it on until the car gets cool, then turn it off and let the fan circulate the cool air. Never run your air conditioner with your windows open!

    4. Keep your windows closed when traveling at high speeds. Open windows cause additional drag and lower your gas mileage. At high speeds, an open window can use more gas than many air conditioners (especially if they are on a low setting).
    http://www.justcar.net/usedcars/auto...For+Saving+Gas

    Last November, Edmunds published a report based on gas mileage testing the company conducted on a 55-mile long track in California.

    Edmunds drove the 55 mile-long loop twice at 65 miles per hour. The AC was on and the windows were up on the first loop, and the AC was off and the windows were down on the second loop. Edmunds reported no discernible difference in gas mileage.

    In the article, Edmunds acknowledges that running the AC does pull power from the engine, but said the effect in a modern car is minimal.

    Edmunds also pointed out that driving with the windows down increases drag, which can detract from your gas mileage. But Edmunds only reported an appreciable dent in gas mileage when they drove a SUV with the sunroof open.

    I'm not concerned with the gas most of you might save if you alter how you stay cool while driving. Be comfortable.
    http://www.journaltimes.com/articles...iq_4132748.txt
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: have you changed your driving habits?

    It's my understanding that recent studies say that at 55 mph and higher there's no difference in gas usage if the window is cracked or the a/c is running.
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member 89bluedevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2005
    Posts
    763
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: have you changed your driving habits?

    I've seen articles with both opinions also. It just seems like with the AC on the vehicle is a little sluggish and my tendency is to accelerate harder to get up to speed.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: have you changed your driving habits?

    I'm just speaking from personal experience. When I use the AC in either my car or truck, I lose 2-3 MPG at least.

    The last time I was in Texas, I ran the AC constantly in my truck. The air temp ranged from 96-106. I usually get 20-22 MPG. Running the AC I got an average of 17 while in the state. Same roads during a cooler part of the year I got a little better than 20.

    My car drops from 28-29 down to 22-24 when running the AC.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •